San Francisco: Cloud computing is the practice of using a network of remote servers hosted on the Internet to store, process and manage data, rather than a local server. People used to download software on their computer to access them in the past, but cloud computing has made it possible to use same applications through the internet. Nowadays from checking your bank account balance to updating social media status, you are using cloud computing.
Modern businesses are adopting cloud technology at a rapid pace. Cloud is becoming a must have for businesses of all sizes.
Why are businesses moving to the cloud technologies?
What benefits cloud can provide?
How efficient and reliable are the cloud technology stacks?
What are the cloud technology stacks?
Let us find out the answers to above questions in details.
Benefits of using Cloud Technology
Either you are a startup or an establish business, you can take advantages of cloud computing. Cloud has become popular in recent years for the variety of reasons. Here are the main advantages of using cloud:
- Operations and maintenance of Cloud computing apps are cheaper.
- It improves infrastructure without manual help.
- It reduces the cost of the software.
- Updates can be run quickly and without any hassle.
- Cloud handles disruptions easily.
- Lots of storage space in less cost.
- Cloud can handle lots of traffic without fail.
- No need to setup data centers
- Worldwide availability and accessibility of software using the internet
- Disaster recovery is very easy
- Highly secure and robust environment for application
Cloud Computing Stack
Cloud computing is a broad collection of services. To understand the value of the cloud for different businesses, we need to understand the cloud and its components in details. Cloud is often described as the stack. There are mainly three types of cloud computing services: SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS. Let us discuss these in details.
Software as a Service (SaaS)
SaaS is a method to use software which is deployed over the internet. SaaS provides a way to the vendor to give license to the customers for using an application via internet. It can be a one-time subscription or “pay-as-you-go” model for using the SaaS application. The user doesn’t need to worry about the infrastructure of software rather he can focus solely on how to use the end-user application. Simplest examples of SaaS application is email clients like Gmail and Hotmail.
SaaS apps need to comply with definitions of cloud computing. Some basic characteristics of SaaS are:
- Software is managed from a clou- based central server
- Software is delivered through “one to many” model
- Users don’t need to run updates of software from their end
- SaaS provides web access to commercial software
SaaS is growing rapidly for delivering technologies with ease. So what are the businesses which can be benefitted by implementing SaaS model? Salesforce is one of the early bird to implement SaaS model and they are very successful in their business. SaaS is very effective in customer relationship management (CRM) products, financial management, email clients, and customer services.
Platform as a Service (PaaS)
PaasS is a computing platform which allows the creation of web applications easily and quickly. It removes the complexity of maintaining the software infrastructures underneath. PaaS assists developers to develop applications without worrying about the environment as it provides all necessary development environments itself. PaaS is somewhat similar to SaaS except that, rather than delivering software over the web it delivers the platform where software can be created easily.
PaaS can be a really complex concept to understand but here are few basic characteristics of it:
- PaaS provides an integrated development environment where development, testing, deployment, hosting and maintenance of software can be done easily.
- All the services provided by PaaS should fulfill the application development process.
- There are built-in scalability and load balancing available for software made using PaaS
- Inbuilt tools to handle billing and subscription
- Web service and database integration via common standards.
- Development team collaboration support.
PaaS best suits for the development environment where multiple developers will be working on a single project. It provides an excellent assistance to external parties to interact with the development process. Agile software development process is quite popular these days among developers.
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
As the name suggests itself, IaaS provides infrastructure for applications. It provides basics of cloud environment to access networks, hardware, OS, and storage space. It works as an on-demand service for providing infrastructures for the development of applications. So it makes easy for clients to buy resources on demand rather than purchasing each and everything.
Infrastructure as a service is growing with a fast pace. Here are few core characteristics of IaaS:
- IaaS allows dynamic scaling of software
- Resources are distributed as service
- A single piece of hardware can be used by multiple users in IaaS environment
- It provides a variable cost with utility pricing model
IaaS can be a real help when demand is very volatile. It gives the real benefit of cloud computing. If you are setting up your business and you don’t have much capital then IaaS can be a boon for you. It helps in scaling the software and hardware very efficiently.
In very near future, cloud computing will become the default for IT delivery. It’s really important to understand different aspects of cloud technology before implementing it in your business.